1975 – A COMMON DREAM BROUGHT US TOGETHER
In 1975 fifty-seven Saskatchewan artisans organized themselves into a determined force with a single voice and a common purpose – to promote and raise the profile of Saskatchewan Fine Craft artists, improve the quality of work produced, and facilitate communication among their membership. SCC boasts a membership of almost 400 from all over the province and is seen as a leader among other provincial craft organizations. The Saskatchewan Craft Council provides programming for members, students, and the general public, professional development, market and export resources, and operates a public gallery and boutique dedicated to Fine Craft.
Excellence in Fine Craft.
To foster an environment where excellence in craft is nurtured, recognized and valued; to support Saskatchewan craftspeople to flourish creatively and economically; and to actively engage with Saskatchewan’s Indigenous communities.
DEVELOPING & PROMOTING FINE CRAFT FOR SASKATCHEWAN
- We operate the SCC Gallery (813 Broadway Avenue, Saskatoon), Saskatchewan’s only public gallery dedicated solely to the celebration of Fine Craft as an art form.
- We organize, curate, and tour exhibitions, most notably Dimensions – Canada’s longest running, open, juried Fine Craft exhibition.
- We manage a major Fine Craft Market: WinterGreen Fine Craft Market (Regina).
- We enable the development of Fine Craft artists, assisting with education, skill building, business growth, marketing and communication.
- We provide the opportunity for our members to showcase their work through our exhibitions program and our Fine Craft Boutique. We certify their participation in 18 different craft media through our jury process.
- We promote Fine Craft and Fine Craft artists through our website, online and print media, public interaction, artists’ interviews, workshops, and tours.
- We host the biennial EMMA International Collaboration – an event that brings up to one hundred Fine Craft and visual artists to Saskatchewan for a week of collaborative creation and learning.
WE ARE CITIZENS OF CRAFT
We have joined together with our colleagues in the Canadian Crafts Federation to declare ourselves to be Citizens of Craft, an inspiring movement dedicated to clarifying and deepening the public’s understanding of Fine Craft and to make craft more accessible to Canadians. Citizens of Craft is a movement of makers, of appreciators, of shoppers, of admirers – of anyone whose values match our values of heritage, innovation, the leading edge, traditional, authentic, and entrepreneurial.