Written by: Sydney Luther, Communications Assistant
Artist name: Laura Hamilton
Business name: Laura Hamilton Art
Medium: Mixed Media: latex house paint, oil paint, acrylic paint
Practicing since: January 2015
Where to buy:
- Ellen’s On Main, Moose Jaw, SK
- The Perfect Find – treasures & gifts, Moose Jaw, SK
- Casa Decor, Regina, SK
- La Vault Décor, Regina, SK
- Jocelyn’s Fine Art Gallery, Esterhazy, SK
- Summer’s Past Greenhouse, Christopher Lake, SK
- Accent’s Kincardine, Kincardine, ON
- Accent’s Port Elgin, Saugeen Shores, ON
Tell us about your art process
I have to two different processes that I use.
- The first is the combination of household latex pain, acrylic paint, and oil paint, and a whole lot of water. I paint flat – the latex paint and water are washed over the canvas. Oil paint is added in the form of a female figure. The paint reacts, which feels like magic. It is pure and raw, an adrenaline rush – a dance.
- The second process is using the same materials but more of a layering process. The paint is dryer.
I love the messiness part of the creative process. I love when the paint rolls down the canvas and onto the floor. It is almost as if the painting is creating itself I am only the guide.
Art is about communication and being able to tell a story.
Through this process of self-discovery, I have learned to tell my story of Postpartum Depression and Anxiety, to make sense of myself, but also to touch the lives of others. People have shared with me their stories and their struggles; it is an honour to know you are breaking down walls and evoking emotions.
Painting has helped to heal me; I am braver and more intuitive now than I ever was before.
What inspires that process?
My inspirations come from everyday life. My figurative paintings are interpretations of beautiful women. These women are usually in motion – whether it be dancing, riding a bike, or just day to day life on the open prairies. The woman may look different from painting to painting, but it is her soul that connects all of my work. She is graceful and free spirited. She lives a simple life and calls nature her home. She could be any age…17, 34, or 82…but it is her spirit that remains youthful.