Cindy Lea Hoppe
I have worked in a variety of art media for forty years, but have focused on fibre arts for the last twenty five years. My formal training consists of three years of a four-year Bachelor of Fine Arts course from the University of Saskatchewan concentrating on painting and drawing.
I worked in pottery for 10 years with my mother, Myrna Harris. When she began weaving, I followed and used my knitting skills to make her weaving into jackets. A fibre art seminar in Manchester, England in 1996 with instructor Maggie Grey, exposed me to a wide variety of embroidery techniques. In 1997, a summer school class at Haliburton, Ontario with Marsha Geddes, a clothing design instructor from Ryerson College in Toronto, influenced me to start recycling wool suits into thoroughly integrated liturgical and art clothing pieces.
My mother and I continued to work together, dying wool, recycling and doing craft and gallery shows. She died August 28, 2009 with an unassailable niche as a felt artist in Saskatchewan. I am building on her legacy in my own way, doing fibre art with mostly recycled materials incorporating machine embroidery and hand knitting to do garments, liturgical work and wall hangings. I am inspired by collaborating with other people and the prairie landscape I live in.
I attend several craft shows throughout the year in Saskatchewan and Alberta. My wall hangings are available at the Pacific Gallery in Saskatoon. I have a gallery in my home that is open by appointment and I regularly do commission work.
- Pieces accepted in the Saskatchewan Craft Council’s juried show “Dimensions” in 1986, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2002, 2003, and 2008.
- Award for Best in Hand Knitting in 1990. Best in Fibre, 2002. Merit Award, 2008.
- Part of a three person show that toured the province through the Organization of Saskatchewan Art Councils in 1991.
- Summer 2000; group show in Biggar Museum and Gallery, Chapel Gallery in North Battleford in November.
- October 2000; two person show in Discovery Gallery at the Alberta Craft Council in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Gave a one-day workshop on my patchwork methods with the Moose Jaw Quilt Guild, 2007.
- Biggar Museum and Gallery, Solo Show, April 2008.
- Pacific Gallery, Saskatoon, show with Myrna Harris, October 2008.
- Pacific Gallery, Saskatoon, show with Sharon Larson, October 2011.
- Stole in Saskatchewan Craft Council show, “Creativity and Spirituality,” 2013
- Two pieces in Saskatchewan Craft Council show, “Our Prairie in Fibre,” 2015