Citizens of Craft
We have joined together with our colleagues in the Canadian Crafts Federation, led by Craft Ontario, to declare ourselves Citizens of Craft, an inspiring movement dedicated to clarifying and deepening the public’s understanding of Fine Craft and to make craft more accessible to Canadians.
Citizens of Craft is a movement of makers, appreciators, shoppers, admirers – anyone whose values match our values of heritage, innovation, the leading edge, traditional, authentic, and entrepreneurial. The movement is a way for craft professionals to say, “this is what I do, this is what I am – come share my passion.” The movement is a way for appreciators to say, “this is what I love, this is what I value, this is who I am.”
We, the Provincial and Territorial Craft Councils, are strongly committed to this movement – to growing and increasing the reach of Citizens of Craft. But we can’t do it alone. We can’t do it without you. We need you to move together with us. So how can you do this?
- Visit the website
- Use the #CitizensOfCraft hashtag when sharing our manifesto and promoting craft
- Wear the Citizens of Craft buttons and t-shirts
- Create a Profile on the Citizens of Craft website – Whether you create, sell, showcase, promote, or teach craft, having a Profile in the Citizens Community is a way for you to present your connection to craft to the world.
Your Profile will:
- Showcase your craft both to the existing craft community and those who are discovering and purchasing craft
- Be presented to site visitors through a wide array of robust searching options
- Provide you the ability to post and promote personal or community craft events
- If you choose, your studio can be identified on a map as a point of interest
- And, most importantly, be part of a mass online exhibit of Canadian craft
Who is eligible?
You must be either a Professional Craftsperson or Organization member of the Saskatchewan Craft Council to create a Profile. If you aren’t from Saskatchewan, please contact the Craft Council in your home province/territory.
To create consistency in the database, across the twelve Provincial and Territorial Craft Councils, certain media have been excluded:
- Floral Arrangements
We apologize for their omission in the national database (national consensus in Canada is always challenging)
(Note: If you are a printmaker, a book binder, or a paper artist, please select “fibre” as your craft type when making a profile.)
To create a profile, you will need:
- A high-quality image of yourself
- Several high-quality images of your work
- A list of stores that sell your work (if applicable)
- Links to your social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Your website URL
Learn how to create a Citizens of Craft profile in this webinar:
We thank you again for declaring yourself a Citizen of Craft, for joining our Citizens Community by creating your Profile, and for playing an integral role in furthering the movement.
If you run into any issues creating your profile, please don’t hesitate to contact SCC Communications Assistant Sydney Luther at (306) 653-3616 ext: 4 or email@example.com.